Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/flicka20/public_html/wp-content/themes/Divi/functions.php on line 5763

As time goes by I continue to upgrade Wookie and at the same time enjoy sailing this tough little vessel. This is part-2 of my posts a “Bit-of-This…Bit-of-That”.

The following are a few “fun” additions and or changes.

 

 

Changing the Anchor Chain Deck Pipe

 

Most modern sailboats seem to have external anchor lockers with an overboard drain. This  means if water enters the chain locker it does not end up in the bilge. The Flicka 20 (as is the case with many older vessels) has an internal anchor rode locker so any water entering ends up sloshing about in the bilge. In these instances the water enters via the anchor chain deck pipe, which I find annoying as I maintain a dry bilge. Consequently the type of anchor deck pipe on Wookie took a bit of thought and searching to find.

I had the typical Sea-Dog bronze deck pipe which is widely used by many boaters with great satisfaction. This deck pipe is flush on the bottom and is meant to mount over the hole and sealed with caulking. This means no protection on the hole cut out in the fibreglass deck (some boaters put extra glass in this hole for protection). In addition, the lip from which the rode slides through into the locker is a just above the deck so any water around it ends up in the bilge.

I wanted something that would fit into the deck hole via a built-in lip so that the anchor chain would not rub against the fibreglass. This lip on the bottom would also be easier to seal as it would fit tightly into the fibreglass deck hole. Finally I wanted the entrance of the deck pipe to be well above the deck and also to lock the anchor rode in place.

In the end I fell back on good old-fashioned traditional boat hardware. I reached out to a marine supply company in Australia (Classic Boat Supplies) and purchased a solid cast marine-grade bronze chain pipe (traditionally called spurling pipe) manufactured by Davey & Co.

 
New And Old Chain Deck Pipe

 
 
Sealing The Old Deck Pipe Hole And Building A Base

The first thing I had to do after removing the old deck pipe was to seal the old hole (including screw holes). I did this by filling in the hole with chopped-fibreglass (fibreglass cloth cut into pieces), covered with a couple of layers of fibreglass cloth and then sanded to a smooth finish. Once this was done I made a mould out of a strip of plastic to create a round base for the new deck pipe. I wanted to raise the deck pipe on the deck a little more and to make it aesthetically more pleasing. This mould was filled with chopped-fibreglass, layered over with fibreglass cloth and sanded smooth. It was shaped so that the deck pipe would sit straight up. This base was then sanded, faired and primed for painting. Finally I painted this area the same colour as my bowsprit.

 

New Hole Drilled And The Deck Pipe Installed

 

 

 

Galley Tap Water Filter

 

My procedure with putting water in the tank aboard Wookie is simply to filter the water at the hose nozzle before it enters the water-tank. Then I add a capful (or two) of Clorox disinfecting liquid to kill any bacteria. Obviously after the Clorox is added, the water pouring out of the galley tap does not taste or smell that great. Consequently I opted for a good quality water filter to be mounted below my sink just before the tap.

 

 

Due to the tight space under the galley sink I wanted a clean well laid out installation that would allow me easy access for changing the filter. To do this I started by using two pieces of starboard to act as the base. I bolted the filter mount on the front piece of starboard and used the other as the back piece, which had holes big enough to hold the heads of the bolts. This gave me a flush mounting base for my filter.

 

 

Once I pre-drilled all the holes on the starboard I mounted the unit, attached the hoses and installed this under the sink.

 

 

 

Miscellaneous Small Projects

Labeling Poisonous Liquids

I keep stove alcohol and lamp oil in containers other than those they are purchased in as they take up too much space. I opted for small stainless flask type containers however this meant I had to come up with a way to label them for obvious safety reasons. For a few dollars I designed and had printed 25 (minimum order quantity) vinyl type stickers.

 

 

You will note I only had one type of label printed for both products. If the container has lamp oil I cut off and discard the stove alcohol label. However if the container has alcohol I cut off the stove alcohol label and stick that over the top of the lamp oil.

As a side note — both containers have a big opening to pour liquid into them. However each one has a smaller opening, which makes it ideal for pouring into the lantern and the stove fuel container.

 

Dock Pole Storage & Paper Towel Rack

 

The following illustrates a simple storage idea aboard Wookie for its old-fashioned wooden dock pole.

 

 

Another simple use for the dock pole is as a paper towel holder. This works really well. The paper towels are accessible yet out of the way and I did not need to add another rack (which in my mind takes up too much space in a Flicka).  

 

 

 

Signed Whale By BB

 

Bruce Bingham kindly signed a wooden whale cutout for me, which gave me a pattern to engrave his signature and mount it by the oil lamp.

 

 

 

A big thank you to all who read my blog

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This